A NEW DAY IN OCCUPY-OUR 10 PT. DECLARATION OF INTERDEPENDENCE W/THE 99%
OUR 10 PT. DECLARATION OF INTERDEPENDENCE W/THE 99%
1. In this second year of Occupation we declare our interdependence with the 99% because we are part and parcel of the 99%.
2. We do not run from the title of Occupier or Occupy Wall Street because, being out on the streets listening as we outreach, we know very well that the people still respect us, even look up to us (because the issues that brought OWS to life are still present) but wonder where we are and why aren’t we articulating their needs. We also seek to re-unite the various dispersed participants and working groups of OWS into a powerful and effective mass movement.
3. Although under this system most of the 99% are oppressed, we are not equally oppressed. Some of our ancestors were enslaved for over 400 years, and/or had this land stolen through forced treaties, genocide, slavery, war and disease by Europeans. This does not require special privileges, special names, nor anyone’s patronage but to be treated justly. And while we insist on solidarity, we also want structures, literature and culture that take into account non-European cultures and civilizations. Anti-racist rhetoric must be accompanied by outreach to and actions in support of people of color.
4. We oppose all oppression by gender and sexual orientation.
5. We are here to fight the power that dis-empowers the 99%, especially the working class and people of color, who are the majority population in New York City and almost always come from the working class.
6. From this day we unite with the 99% and will outreach, listen and seek to win people to our cause. We will do this not by interacting with them from where ‘WE’ are but where THEY are, both physically and politically.
7. From this day we seek to no longer be a fringe, trapped in a rigid or insular worldview and ideology, but to become a mass movement seeking real change for the majority, and we commit to a prolonged struggle of outreach, engagement and actions in support of the demands of the 99%, not only one day actions or symbolic victories.
8. We reject radically dysfunctional and unsustainable structures that claim ‘all-inclusiveness’ and promote excessive autonomy, but in reality only inhibit unity, decision making and action. We realize that the only victories we will ever experience are in fighting for the legitimate demands of the 99% in a process with agreed upon visions/goals/values, consensual democracy and a firm but flexible community and movement building agreement that insures fair and democratic input which enables participation by a wide range of people.
9. We are fighting for the freedom and empowerment of all women and men, children and elders and participate in the struggles of all people that seek to replace structures, institutions and policies that have never benefited them.
10. We seek to Occupy Wall Street (AND ALL STREETS) until the people are fully in power and not the corporations or the 1% that run them and control our economy ,our government and our lives!
UHURU AND ALL POWER TO THE PEOPLE!